X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old man 52
    Rock Crusher
    • Apr 2008

I'm still waiting for my parts delivery.
    Jeep Head

Comment

• Rckcrwlr
      Site Admin
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by old man 52 View Post
      I'm still waiting for my parts delivery.
      You're gonna have to come to the cave for now...
      sigpic

Rckcrwlr's Feedback Thread

Comment

• Stburr91
        Pebble Pounder
        • Mar 2008

Congrats on getting airborne.

It was crazy how the props looked like they were stopping at the end of that first video.

Comment

• Rckcrwlr
          Site Admin
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Stburr91 View Post
          It was crazy how the props looked like they were stopping at the end of that first video.
          I was thinking the same thing.... But it was spinning the whole time...
          sigpic

Comment

• Patella
            Pebble Pounder
            • Mar 2008

I used to think it was a trick of video, but I've noticed on my little one that sometimes when you are coming down it really seems like some of the blades are slowing or shutting down. I often wondered if it was the gyro doing some 'magic'.

Now I want a big one.

Originally posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
            I was thinking the same thing.... But it was spinning the whole time...

Comment

• Rckcrwlr
              Site Admin
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Patella View Post
              I used to think it was a trick of video, but I've noticed on my little one that sometimes when you are coming down it really seems like some of the blades are slowing or shutting down. I often wondered if it was the gyro doing some 'magic'.

Now I want a big one.

50 degrees on Saturday...getting the Gimbel and camera mounted for video test...
              sigpic

Comment

• Rckcrwlr
                Site Admin
                • Dec 2007

Having a little problem with the gimbal and it was windy... but here is my first flight with the Hero3+

sigpic

Comment

• old man 52
                  Rock Crusher
                  • Apr 2008

Somebody need to clean his gutters before Tina finds out some how. Time 1:17
                  Jeep Head

Comment

• Rckcrwlr
                    Site Admin
                    • Dec 2007

Received a delivery notification today from UPS...

When I got home, this is what I saw:

So I excitedly opened it up to find this:

Ohhhhh Kay, so this big of a box for a TSA Approved Lock? But wait, what is that under the paper?

Now to tell the story...I have been looking for cases for the Phantom 2. The Cases "made" for the Phantom 2 were cheaply made and expensive. So I got the average measurements of those cases and started searching for my own. Now, I am familiar with Pelican Cases. I have several of them for work and they are well built, durable and waterproof...but with that comes expensive.

It came down, size wise, that I need to 1560. It just happened that I had one for work so I knew the size. But you were looking at $200...just couldn't do it.

Two days ago I get an email from Amazon (target marketing, I assume), Pelican cases at reduce prices. I said, what the heck, I'll bite. Well they were $15 to $30 off the price which isn't bad and put me in the price range of the "Phantom 2 Cases" but better quality. All of a sudden, I scrolled down and saw this one at almost $50 off the price...but why?

Yeap, it's ORANGE...so what...so I pulled the trigger on it.

These cases, if you never saw them, are incredible. For work I have shipped Pelican cases twice the size of this across the country several times and they never broke or any of the stuff being damaged. Is it overkill for the Phantom 2, probably but for the price, couldn't say no.

So let me introduce you to them:

Here is the top foam (you can also get a lid organizer (watching for them to go on sale) that would be perfect for small things like props, wires and tools.

The bottom foam is fully customizable and modular.

And as you can see, there is more than enough room for the Phantom 2 w/Zenuse Gimbal, Controller, Charger, Battery plus extras and much more.

This weekend I will start working on customizing it...
                    sigpic

Comment

• Rckcrwlr
                      Site Admin
                      • Dec 2007

As part of the cleaning of my shop today...I have to get grid of boxes so it was time to get the Phantom 2 in the Pelican.

I was first trying to lay it with the blades on but then decided that it would be better to remove them to avoid bending them.

So if someone has never used a Universal Case...it's pretty easy. You usually will have a solid block of foam (cheaper models) or you will have some that are scored to easily modify.

The Pelican Boxes have 1.2" blocks that make it easy to really make things fit. It also has two layers that makes it easier to make specific depth.

All you need to do is decide what area you want to remove and then working from the outside edge into where you are removing, use your fingers and slowly pull them away. I do that on the parameter of the area I am removing so I don't mistakenly remove something I don't. Once that is done, I just slide my hand around it, making sure you are pulling towards the part you are removing, not to ruin the stuff you need to say intact.

After laying everything out, I went through and removed all the needed foam to create this...

A couple things that I thought of while doing it:
                      • Keep at least 3 rows of foam between cutouts to help hold the shape.
                      • You don't need to remove all the foam all the way down. You can either cut it to depth or what I did with the batteries...I just loosened only about an inch down on the bottom foam and then pushed the battery in...that way there is support underneath.
                      • Made room for a spare battery that I know I will be investing in this spring.
                      • I marked the blades I am using now, being that they are all in the same place.
                      • I have a smaller case for the GoPro Accessories that are more for other applications.
                      • These normally are about the same as the Phantom Cases people are selling out there...but this one you can customize yourself and is 100 times better in quality.
                      • The case is big...but so is the Phantom 2
                      sigpic

Comment

• Rckcrwlr
                        Site Admin
                        • Dec 2007

First attempt at following an object...need some practice

sigpic

Comment

• old man 52
                          Rock Crusher
                          • Apr 2008

I can see a drone strike coming up soon.
                          Jeep Head

Comment

Working...
                          X