Cooking with Carey: Beer Battered Zucchini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking with Carey: Beer Battered Zucchini

Since zucchini is coming into season, I figured it was time for my soon to be famous beer battered zucchini. It's simple, easy, and tastes realllllly good.

To start, you need fresh from the garden (mine was picked earlier in the day) zucchini. They're best if you don't let them get too big, but you don't want them so small that theres an unsatisfying portion.

Now, you need to gather the rest of the ingredients:

- Cooking oil (I used pure Canola, but Extra Virgin Olive Oil would really show that you care). You'll need enough to fill your skillet or deep fryer to an appropriate level.
    - 1 1/2 cup of Cake flour. You can use regular flour in a pinch, but your family may notice and not be as completely satisfied.
    - 1 12oz beer. The brand doesn't matter as much as long as it's not too dark. Remember, this is a light batter, and you don't want it to over-whelm the flavor of the zucchini. I suggest having a second beer available to enjoy while preparing the meal...hence the Lord Chesterfield Ale in the picture below.
    - Salt.
    - Garlic. (I used minced this time, but I've also been known to use finely sliced fresh clove garlic).

After you have the ingredients collected, slice your zucchini. I sliced mine pretty thin. It could be a hair thicker, but you need to watch going too thick with such a light batter. It's all about balance of flavor.

Now, with your cake flour in a medium mixing bowl, whisk in the can (or bottle) of beer, and about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Whisk until completely mixed, then set aside for 5 to 10 minutes (until the foam goes down).

Since I was serving the zucchini with spaghetti, at this time, I started the sauce simmering as well as the water for the noodles. Then I put the oil on Medium/High heat (get the oil to at least 350 degrees if not higher), and add a generous amount of garlic. Fry the garlic until brown then remove. This will flavor the oil & give just the right amount of garlic to the zucchini without overwhelming it. I often set aside this garlic to be used on garlic bread.

Now, dip your zucchini in the batter, and set it in the oil. I like to keep a single layer so that they don't stick to each other. Continue to cook until a golden color, turning occaisionally.

Once the perfect golden color, remove from the oil to a plate lined with paper towels, and serve as an appetizer or with the meal.

I chose to serve with spaghetti & garlic bread, with a side of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing, and a side of Marinara sauce for dipping.

Re: Cooking with Carey: Beer Battered Zucchini

lewis you better watch out this kids got skill!!

mmmm looking good!! bring some of that to the picnic

Comment

Re: Cooking with Carey: Beer Battered Zucchini

Lewis has no threats from me. I enjoy putting together some dishes in my kitchen, but when it comes to several items at the same time, my head is spinning. I have the utmost respect for real chefs who can handle that pressure & responsibility!

I do plan on putting together a few more of these threads as I fix dishes that I really like. After all, one of my favorite parts of fixing good food is sharing it.

Comment

Working...
      X