installing a new water heater...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing a new water heater...

so my water heater died on me yesterday, and i have to put a new one in. how hard is it to do yourself? or, if it isn't much extra, should i just have the installers from the home depot do it?

Re: installing a new water heater...

Too bad you didn't post this before you bought it...STEVESTOCK is the manager of a Plumbing Supply Shop...

sigpic

Rckcrwlr's Feedback Thread

Comment

Water heater isnt all that tough to do, I did mine with the help of one of the other guys in school, is the one you have gas or electric?

Comment

You just have to make sure you get the copper really clean and dry. Any water will make it impossible to solder. Also, if there's any water in the pipes it will vaporize and you'll get a faceful of steam. Ask me how I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Rckcrwlr
          Too bad you didn't post this before you bought it...STEVESTOCK is the manager of a Plumbing Supply Shop...

i didn't buy it, yet....

and i totally forgot about that...

Comment

Originally posted by Patella
            You just have to make sure you get the copper really clean and dry. Any water will make it impossible to solder. Also, if there's any water in the pipes it will vaporize and you'll get a faceful of steam. Ask me how I know.
            actually, i was looking, i am not even going to have to solder anything!!! the two lines off the top of my existing water heater got into threaded lines....

plus, it's an electric heater, so beside threading up a couple of lines, and doing some simple wiring, i am guessing it shouldn't be that difficult to do...

i have a feeling moving the old one out, and the new one in is going to be the hardest thing to do...

Comment

HEy once it is in make sure your new WH is level!!
              Also, dont let them sell you an exspansion tank if you dont have one, worst case senerio yuou can go and plumb one in should you bneed it,
              Another thing to consider is using flex lines instead of the usual Flare connections.. make life easier,

Comment

Originally posted by crawler_king
                HEy once it is in make sure your new WH is level!!
                Also, dont let them sell you an exspansion tank if you dont have one, worst case senerio yuou can go and plumb one in should you bneed it,
                Another thing to consider is using flex lines instead of the usual Flare connections.. make life easier,
                yeah, i did use the flex lines, piece of cake!!

the hardest thing was clearing all the junk in the basement to make a path to get to the old one out and the new one in!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X