Hey slackers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey slackers!

Just thought I would let those few who care know I am safe and confused in the heart of French Canada.

Only took about 12 hours...google maps LIES I tell ya, sure wasn't no 10.5 hours like they said. If you want to go 90E into NY pass up on it, nothing to see there other than the interesting skills taught by the NY DMV. was that some interesting driving!!

Still trying to figure out WTFO with the Army moving the 10th Mountain Div from Camp Hale, CO (Over by Aspen) to Ft. Drum (Watertown, NY). I didn't a single mountian on that drive....

Avoid the Ontario 401 unless by night, there is REALLY nothing to see there. I think I saw more going on in western Kansas than on that road. Canada has the most F-up'ed speed limit signage in the world. 100kph max, but I was doing about 110kph and getting my doors blown off, only to pass cops and realize they DONT CARE!!!

On the bright side meals are ordered by pointing and praying. Lunch worked out pretty good. Dinner should be ok, the hotel at least tells me what the meat part of the dinner is,

Huge downpour, hehe the laptop is a work one so no biggie right? More driving tomorrow, back down to Montreal and back.

Looks like I could possibly maybe be home a bit earlier than planned. But still looks like my Bday will be spent in French Canada though.

Oh and the hotel is in the stone ages...No WiFi only corded internet!

Re: Hey slackers!

Glad you made it bud...

You missed a great comp yesterday. The guys set it up so I could see...the cones...talk about some holes...
    sigpic

Rckcrwlr's Feedback Thread

Comment

sounds like a fun trip you ned as gps!!

you missed a good one!

Comment

Originally posted by Rockbound
        sounds like a fun trip you ned as gps!!

you missed a good one!

Looks like I did miss a good one! Oh well, when work calls there is not much I can do. Orders came down from WAY up on high for this one

Haha I do have a GPS , the maps are just are lacking BIG time for Quebec. Didn't even list the town I am in its list of towns . The drive up here is so easy I just used the GPS as a toy, I didn't really need it though .

What I need more than that is a translator haha

Meh the overtime will be good, but may need a fast trip to Vermont to get more smokes as Canadian smokes suck!! Didn't realize they don't make you fill out a declaration card at the border, like they do when you fly, otherwise I would have brought a lot more in

Comment

Originally posted by Bustedcrawler
          Didn't realize they don't make you fill out a declaration card at the border, like they do when you fly, otherwise I would have brought a lot more in
          Take this opportunity to quit...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rckcrwlr
            Originally posted by Bustedcrawler
            Didn't realize they don't make you fill out a declaration card at the border, like they do when you fly, otherwise I would have brought a lot more in
            Take this opportunity to quit...
            Ummm....yeah... Not really a good time

I can see where you are coming from and would normally make sense, but I have never in my life had so much pressure laid onto me at once. My crutches (cigs and beer) are getting me through.

Did I also mention the whole province of Quebec is non-smoking? Haha it would make it easier to quit up here, if it weren't for the pressure.

You know a job is going to be tough when all the big wigs say "our savior is here..." before anything else this is going to be a long few weeks starting-up on Saturday.

On the plus side I am only on call until 3am and not until start of day shift like I had orginally thought. The contractor is a "slacker" and only working night shift 5:30 pm to 3 am. Day shift is 7:30 am to 5:30 pm, good enough for me as I get my overtime every day with those hours

Comment

It's offical this job brings the suck, as do Canadian smoke prices...$6-10 a pack

Delay after delay, a customer who can't read drawings and contractors who bid jobs they can't do. Oh so much fun. Not to mention the massive night life in a town the size of Moon or Robinson. Guess that's why I am always in the bar.

I am pretty sure this job has cut at least 10 yrs off of my life, between the stress the oh so tasty greasy food, many a beer at night, and way too many smokes.

But hey, I can buy some yummi cheese at the gas station when I get my Redbull up here. I think I may need to stock up on the cheese wheneve I finally get to leave

Oh and I forgot two things 1) I dunno what day it is since I have been working everyday since last Monday and will continue to do so til the end of the job and 2) you know you have been on the road too much when you refer to the hotel as home.

Comment

That sucks.

Hope you get back soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Racer4Life
                  That sucks.

Hope you get back soon.

Yeah but not as much as getting my Dew from the vending machine only to realize that they are caffine free wtfo?!?! Caffine free dew???

I know I will never bitch about 65 cent cokes any more from the machines, the cheap ones are $1 a coke

Right now looks like start-up will be in a week, and about a week after that before I can come home.

On the bright side, when I did dinner with the mechanical contractor's super and foreman plus a boilermaker I was told I was doing a good job. No of them could believe it was my first start-up...or maybe something got lost as none of them were bilingual only one guy knew any real amount of English still had a blast though.

Still looking like around the 12th of Sept for me to come home.

Comment

OK after back to back 1am nights, 10pm was welcome tonight.

A little behind schedule but we will be firing things up tomorrow around lunch time. Then if all goes well I will be headed back around Friday.

I'm pretty sure I have lost a few of the later years of my life from this one, but all is good.

Comment

sweet good job

Comment

Hang in there Matt...it will pay off in the long run...

Lewis,
                        Nice Avatar!!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Still not running, made some noise and smoke but not running. My stuff is done but the sparky's need some help

Just wish I was paid by the hour... week for timesheets goes Sat-Fri:

2 weeks ago 85 hours, last week about the same, this week I will be at 80 mid day tomorrow

At least it sounds like they are throwing a week of paid comp time my way for this!

Comment

93 hours for the week so far, but that bad b*tch is running now! After fighting us for 3 days she is running like a champ.

Barring any unforeseen major issues I will be headed back Sunday.

Comment

Good deal. Way to hang in there!!

Be safe!

Comment

Working...
                              X