A spinoff from RCC's Cool Job/Work Toys Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A spinoff from RCC's Cool Job/Work Toys Thread

Since they had a cool job thread, figured I would post up what I put over there for ya'll to see.

This is good stuff I get to play with when let send me out into the field. Other wise I am a desk jockey

Don't get to play with them too often as I design them, but I do get to have fun during start-up.

This is how this tilter started life, fresh outta the fab shop. Those are 14 inch diameter hydrualic cylinders in the foreground, with a 11' and change closed length and a 21' and change extended length.

Here is that same tilter a month after start up:

A 1941 vintage furnace I am revamping for a customer in Canada:

Re: A spinoff from RCC's Cool Job/Work Toys Thread

Now that is cool.

Mine isn't that exciting...
    sigpic

Rckcrwlr's Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Rckcrwlr
      Now that is cool.

Mine isn't that exciting...

Actually it was a little hot

In the middle pic, that is not dust blurring the pic, but liquid steel splatter

Comment

thats a hot mofo!! better wear your deodorant!!

Comment

well i dont work yet but this is some stuff i work with at school. i actually wanna get what i am showing you for me to make some rc parts on. think our own rc parts.

the lathe (i dont have exact pics)

the mill

next year i will hopefully be working on this.

you guessed it CNC lathe and mill.

Comment

Nice looking stuff there. But the manual stuff works just as well as the CNCs do for making parts

Besides manual is more fun

Comment

hmmmm, i'll have to try and get some pics either today or tommorrow of the car bottom furnace we have in our shop.

also, it is only in the design phase right now, but my company is working on a VERY next level winding drum mandrel furnace....

Comment

Originally posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER
                hmmmm, i'll have to try and get some pics either today or tommorrow of the car bottom furnace we have in our shop.

also, it is only in the design phase right now, but my company is working on a VERY next level winding drum mandrel furnace....

Do it man...Pizza ovens can be cool at times Car bottoms are pretty neat, our Canada customer has some pretty cool, heat treat furnaces to treat thier forgings. They are a car bottom, but the furnace itself moves between cars. But those paled in comparision to the 2000 and 5000 Ton presses and slab handlers to use with the presses. Yes, you read right 2000 and 5000 TON presses...4,000,000 and 10,000,000 pounds of pressure. Watch those fingers kiddies

Comment

Cool pics! I used to work for an engineering company and started out designing L.W.B.R (Low water breeder reactors) unfortunately I can't say for who or they'd have to kill me.............. no really! Anyway That company decided to send me to Boston M.A. for programming (Their mistake ). After I finished my last class I was of there. Then came the real excitement Started working for another Eng. Company heading up there I.T. Dept. (As part of my responsibility I had to still do the design thing ) I spent 60% of my time at USX and Wheeling Pitt. Steel. Cool but hot as HELL

Nothing like standing on a 36" wide flange beam over a B.O.F. (Basic OxygenFurnace)

The ladle pouring Iron into the furnace holds 300 tons of molten iron.

Those days are gone now I sit and program all day :geek:

Comment

Originally posted by Bustedcrawler
                    Nice looking stuff there. But the manual stuff works just as well as the CNCs do for making parts

yea but if im going to make like 5 wheels i want them all the same not 1 wheel to small and 3 to big.

Comment

Originally posted by razor rc

yea but if im going to make like 5 wheels i want them all the same not 1 wheel to small and 3 to big.

What?!?! Come awn ...you can manually make 5 wheels the same.

Lay it out right, take your time, and its really easy to do. How do you think things were made before CNC?? Just don't rush it

Comment

Originally posted by DRCMAN
                        Cool pics! I used to work for an engineering company and started out designing L.W.B.R (Low water breeder reactors) unfortunately I can't say for who or they'd have to kill me.............. no really! Anyway That company decided to send me to Boston M.A. for programming (Their mistake ). After I finished my last class I was of there. Then came the real excitement Started working for another Eng. Company heading up there I.T. Dept. (As part of my responsibility I had to still do the design thing ) I spent 60% of my time at USX and Wheeling Pitt. Steel. Cool but hot as HELL

Nothing like standing on a 36" wide flange beam over a B.O.F. (Basic OxygenFurnace)

Those days are gone now I sit and program all day :geek:

You and your dinosaurs there with that BOF

Gotta love high production shops with broad chemistry ranges, just churn and burn a lot of metal.

The two shops I pictured are low volume shops that need very specific chemistrys. Both turn out forging ingots. One for making die cast molds, the other for the military

Comment

You and your dinosaurs there with that BOF

Gotta love high production shops with broad chemistry ranges, just churn and burn a lot of metal.

The two shops I pictured are low volume shops that need very specific chemistrys. Both turn out forging ingots. One for making die cast molds, the other for the military
                          The new stuff is sweet, I'm showing my age now The D.O.D. and D.O.E. definitely had/have some cool stuff. The only thing with the new stuff is you can't put a Yota in the scrap car to be melted

Comment

so do you "design" the refractory linings in you shop as well? we do here for our furnaces, it sucks....

Comment

I teach Anatomy and Physiology all day long at a local University.

Basically I cut up dead bodies and show them to people.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                              X