Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need someone good with 4.0 jeep engines and or XJ's....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need someone good with 4.0 jeep engines and or XJ's....

Ok so I am not a complete maechanical boob, but am hoping that I can get someone from the boards to make the trek down one of these weekends to lend a hand in getting my second Cherrokee up and running right.. I am running into some issues that are beyuond me...
    1-has some serious trouble staying running without the starter being engaged.. It will run after awhile without it but it isnt right at all..
    2-cooling issues.. just did the thermostat and am hoping to avoid putting in a new water pump...
    3-there is an odd clunking noise under my feet when it is running, sometimes its there sometimes not....
    I can probably offer lunch, some beers, and a trip to the lost river if interested....

Re: Need someone good with 4.0 jeep engines and or XJ's....

Originally posted by crawler_king
    I can probably offer lunch, some beers, and a trip to the lost river if interested....
    In other words, Bring your own lunch just in case, he will give you the beers that have the soft cans in the back of the refrig, and you will be driving...

sigpic

Rckcrwlr's Feedback Thread

Comment

Moderation with the beer is expected by any who imbibe and are of age.
      Grilling is a definte possiblity.

Comment

Originally posted by crawler_king
        Ok so I am not a complete maechanical boob, but am hoping that I can get someone from the boards to make the trek down one of these weekends to lend a hand in getting my second Cherrokee up and running right.. I am running into some issues that are beyuond me...
        1-has some serious trouble staying running without the starter being engaged.. It will run after awhile without it but it isnt right at all..
        2-cooling issues.. just did the thermostat and am hoping to avoid putting in a new water pump...
        3-there is an odd clunking noise under my feet when it is running, sometimes its there sometimes not....

I know XJ's pretty well as i have one with 234000 miles on it.

1-as for the started it might be a bad selinoid (can't spell)

2-first thing is the rubber splash gaurd still on under the motor as this traps alot of heat in
        2nd you might need to flush the block and rad out might have a blocked in the rad and fluching the block out will get all the gunk out of it
        3rd might want to think about replaceing the temp sensor above the thermostat as they go bad and give the temp gadge a false reading

3-this could be many diffrent things most likely its a bad tranny mount also the front driveshaft cv joint likes to go bad and make noise this can be replaced but its just as easy to go to the junk yard get buy a whole new shaft for about $30 the cv joint rebuild kit is about $80

once my dad gets home on sun (hes out 4-wheeling his XJ this weekend) im sure he will chip in his opinion

JoeandJeep knows his XJ's pretty good 2 lol

Comment

Hmm The stat housing in the 88 doesnt have the sensor in it like my 94 does...
          I dont think there is any rubber seal or creature of that nature left under the 88...
          Flushing the system is a good idea.. not sure why I didnt think of that in the first place...
          just a frustrating situation... had hoped to have the 94 off the road all ready and the 88 rolling by now... but lack of funds has slowed me down big time.. stupid minimum wage job, but I am getting close to being done with school so hopefully that will change soon!

Comment

Hey hazzzys dad here with some pointers on the cooling for that 88 XJ of yours. The easiest way to flush one of these beasties is to remove the upper hose from the t-stat housing, then remove the t-stat housing and t-stat. Put a gargen hose in the upper hose and tape it on, I use duct tape. Turn the hose on full blast and walk way for an hour or so. Oh you'll want to raise the front of the Jeep so it's about 6" higher than the rear, this will make the rad the highest point in the system. And make sure the heater valve is in the open position so the core gets flushed out too ( just shut it off with the control in HEAT position, the vaccum resevor will keep it open). After that hour or so is up, turn off the water and remove the lower hose, lower the jeep back on it's tires and raise the rear about 6" to completely drain the rad and block.

Refilling the coolant, lower the rear and raise the front again, reconnect the lower rad hose, replace the t-stat and housing. Refill the system slowly through the upper hose untill the coolant starts coming out of the T-stat housing. Reconect the upper hose and refill the pressure bottle with coolant, wait a few minutes for the coolant to fill the heater hoses and refill. With the front still higher than the rear start the Jeep and let it warm up, you'll prolly have to refill the bottle 2 or 3 times. If you're wondering why you do this with the front higher than the rear, it's to lessen the possibillity of air pockets in the block.

SEE NEXT POST FOR POSSIBLE REASONS FOR THE THUMPING UNDER YOUR FEET.

Comment

Thumping noises under Jeep XJ's

Seeing that it's an 88 First and most likely beeing that it's an intermitant thump, look at the trac bar, the ball joint on the frame side wears out and will cause a really weird thumping noise. Second, I would look at the control arm bushings, both upper and lower. They're just rubber and deterioate over time. Third, Tranny mount / Motor mounts, Same deal as the control arms, but not very likely. Fourth, front drive shaft, highly unlikely but I have seen it (Stevies Jeep).

SEE NEXT POST FOR FUEL SYSTEM FIXES.

Comment

OLDER JEEP MPI (RENIX) FUEL SYSTEM FIXES

The Jeep RENIX fuel injection is a piece of crap. OK that said lets get on with how to clean one up and make it work.
                First and foremost, check it for vac leaks, the Renix FI system hates too much vaccum and prolly has some deerioated lines, it's an 88. Get a can of carb cleaner and spray all of the vac hoses, if there's a leak the engine will stumble. OR theres the propane method. Take a propane torch, like a plumber would use, turn it on high (unlit, of course) and run the torch tip slowly over the vac lines, the idle will speed up if there's a leak.
                Second, change the fuel filter, again, it's an 88 and lord knows if it's ever been changed. Third, PLUGS, WIRES, CAP and ROTOR, I only get tune up parts from NAPA, costs a little more than Advance/Auto Zone Ect. but I feel they are beter parts. Fourth, disconnect and plug the vaccum line going to the little trap door in the front of the air box so it stays open.

Now lets get into the meat of it. First thing we need to do is clean the throttle body (TB). Remove the 3 torx screws holding the air inlet tube to the TB. Look at that thing it's filthy. Get a can of carb/TB cleaner and spray the heck out of it, inside and out, open the throttle plate and spray inside too. Next, see the round thing that looks like a 20 turn motor with wires coming out of it, thats the AIS (Idle Air Speed) Motor. Unplug the wiring connector, remove the 2 torx scews and gently pull it out of the TB, there should be an O-ring atached to the AIS, if not check to see if it's stuck on the TB. You dont wanna lose the O-ring or you'll have one hell of a vac leak. Spray some carb cleaner on a rag and wipe off the cone shaped plunger. DO NOT SPRAY CLEANER INTO THE AIS it can gum up the motor and it woln't work right, and it's a 60 dollar part (ask me how I know). Put the AIS back in, reinstall the torx screws, not too tight the TB is aluminum and plug the connector back in. Reinstall the intake tube and new air filter an fire it up. It should really make a big difference. Lastly, if you really want to clean the fuel/intake system up run a full can of Seafoam through one of the vac lines (I use the brake booster line and small funel, just pour it in slow). Follow the directions on the can but, run the at lest 1/2 of the can through the intake and the other half in the gas tank, dont put any in the oil.

Comment

PARTS THAT WILL INTERCHANGE BETWEEN THE 88 and 94.

Upper control arms
                  Lower control arms
                  Trac Bar
                  Front axle assembly
                  Front drive shaft
                  Rear deive shaft
                  Rear axle assembley (different u-bolts) (88 is a D-35 94 is a MoPar 8.75)
                  sway bar
                  all shocks
                  brake rotors
                  brake calapers
                  brake drums
                  engine assembly (must change the intake and TB to the one from the 88)
                  Transmission
                  Transfer case
                  doors
                  fenders
                  hood
                  tail lights
                  lift gate (rear hatch)
                  most all interior pieces
                  gauges
                  front/rear suspension parts
                  Cooling system ( with a little work they will interchange, have to re route some heater lines, use 94 heat valve and t-stat housing)

Actually just about everything except the computer and fuel pump/tank

Comment

THanks!
                    I am going to take a looks at it this sat.. I am not sure if I am going to push the afairlane to the front of the re[pair line or not.. I am just trying to get the dang jeep rolling cheap and easy...
                    thanks for the interchange list.. that is a huge help...
                    now i just need to get someone to lend a hand in doing all of this! LOL..
                    Got to try and pop the rounded out t-stat bold out before I flush the system out..

Comment

The T-stat housings will interchange between he two motors, just leave the temp sensor in. OH, the 92 and later T-stat housings are supposted to flow a little better then the older style too. I've been thinking about changing to a later style and using the hole to run a mechanical temp gauge.

Comment

Working...
                      X