What's your opinions on the AX10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your opinions on the AX10

Other than having a $99 Nitto buggy when I was 15 or so, way back in the mid-80's, I'm new to the whole RC thing. I also played around with my brothers cars a tiny bit, he was into the nitro stuff. Recently I got an RC bug up my ***, was in a horrible mood and figured "Screw it, I'm going to a store and buying something", so in March I ran to J&C Hobbies to look around. My original intent was to find something I could build a scaler type rig out of, but they didn't have much to choose from. (I wish I would have waited a few months, then Raceway would have been just down the road as opposed to an hour drive away!)
    I wound up going home with an E-Maxx. I knew I was kind of "settling", but I was just in a mood where I wasn't leaving without something and the Maxx looked like fun. Don't get me wrong, the Maxx was a blast to drive, but I eventually just couldn't get past the fact that it's kind of ridiculous looking (Being almost as wide as it is long) and the fact that the independent suspension pretty much kills any thoughts of making a real crawler out of it.
    Now I know that it can be done, but I really didn't want to start hacking into a brand new Maxx and still not be happy with the result. After some searching on RCC.com I found out about the AX10 and ordered one from CKRC, then sold the E-Maxx to a PBB member.
    I was just wondering what you guys think about AX10's in general? I'm sure some of you guys have been doing this for years, fabbing things by hand and creating beasts out of random parts, then all of a sudden comes the AX10 and it seems like it's everything that 95% of people would ever want. To me, it's almost like the RC version of the Jeep TJ, where all of a sudden you'll have a bunch of newbies (Like myself) getting into the hobby, for better or worse...
    So, do you veteran guys have any animosity towards AX10's, or do you welcome the advancements in what's available. I'm not saying "Oh noes, I'm skeered to take my AX10 around people", I don't care what anyone thinks , I just know how it is to be in something for a long time only to have a massive wave of newbs get into it and well....fu*k it up

That was long winded, eh?

Re: What's your opinions on the AX10

The AX-10 has been a good and bad thing for the hobby...

The BAD first is that you have everyone and their mother buying one because it is the cool thing to do. It also eliminates the reason a lot of us got into the hobby...the idea of fabricating their own rigs.

The Good Thing is that the hobby has grown leaps and bounds in the past 6 - 8 months. Meeting new people. More involvement in the hobby. Manufacturers are on board, etc.

I would say that it is a Big Win for the Hobby and I welcome it and any other RTR's to the hobby.

The rig is very competitive right out of the box...can't beat that. Those that want to fab can still do it...look at Coles and Rockbound...

Get that rig together and be there Sunday...you will love it.
    sigpic

Rckcrwlr's Feedback Thread

Comment

I wouldn't go so far as to say it eliminates the idea of fabbing your own rigs (Those that want to fab, will fab), it seems like the AX10 does eliminate the need to fab for the most part, and that can be a bummer for people that previously had to fab to get it to the level that they wanted. In effect "Why fab when I can just buy an AX10?"
      Alot of people might buy an AX10 and the novelty will wear off in 3 or 4 months and they'll sell it. Their loss, your gain, right? They have initially helped support an RC company and then helped you by pumping more used parts into the market. When I say "you", I obviously mean anyone who is truly into the hobby, btw..
      Some will stay into it and keep building things, so you'll have more serious people getting into the hobby and supporting it/innovating. I've always liked RC stuff, I just never got around to buying anything. There was never time, money (still isn't), interest in heavy fabbing, etc. etc. I view the AX10 as a springboard for me to get into the hobby more, since it already has alot of what I wanted in the first place (Realistic looks in the body, tires, axles, suspension, etc.). I haven't even gotten this one running yet (I hope that radio comes in today!), but I'm already thinking about buying an RTR later on to rip apart and build around an aluminum ladder frame with leaf springs, etc. I definitely want to build a scaler eventually.
      Why can't I just getting into sitting on the back porch and whittling wood rather than all of these expensive hobbies?

Comment

It's good and bad as said before.

Good as we are going mainstream, bad cause we are going mainstream.

The AX10 is pulling in a lot of the lazy younger generation that wants everything spoon feed to them...and that is a big bad thing.

However it also pulls in those guys that have good ideas, but just no time...and that is a good thing.

Anyway I look at it, it is cool, and I hate it. But, it doesn't personally effect me as I will as\lways buy a whole kit for just a few parts, or scrounge up just the parts I need and make the rest.

Comment

i love the ax-10, but i also hate it. i bought the kit (original kit) to build a full out comp rig. but yet i dont have the money to build what i wanna build.

ive seen alot of ax-10s on rcc that have been built up stock, but for a serious comp driver you need to go and mod it in your own ways. i would never buy another ax-10 kit but id like to peice another one together from parts i have laying around.

Comment

I think the AX-10 is a benifit to the hobby, it does bring in alot of people that dont have the fab skills that want to go crawling, and they may be into it for a year or so and never go any further than a stock ax10... look at what Patella has done to his, there are so many things that can be done with it..
            There seemed to be alot of animosity twords the WK when it first hit as a 4x4...
            losi might hit with a crawler, Tamiya hit with the cr-01.. there are advantages and disadvantages to everything, Bottom line is the AX-10 has made alot of the large manufacturers step up and take notice of the crawling side of RC... and that is the biggest benifit of all.

Comment

i like my AX-10 axles. i built my rig on a set of them. for just being stock, they seem pretty damn stout.

and i also agree, the AX-10 has it's good and bad points for the hobby. good as in they gave us a new set of axles that i personally thinkg with the high strength upgrades out there, are capable of being both a 2.2 axle, AND a possible SUPER shafty axle (yeah, i said it...)

bad, as in like rckcrwlr said, it's bringing in the lazy spoon feed me gen. into the hobby, especially with the RTR version out.

Comment

The Axial is great for the hobby. I'm glad it happened because it got me back into crawling. I just didn't have the time available to piece together & build a crawler, but I was able to pick up an AX10 & slowly fab replacement parts to make it better.

Stock, out of the box, it is a decent crawler, but it really needs some work to milk out it's potential. It has also, like others have said, provided a new set of axles for the guys who fab their own.

It's the Berg that's going to ruin the hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by EvilTwin v2
                  I second that one
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rckcrwlr
                    Originally posted by EvilTwin v2
                    I second that one
                    i third that one

Comment

haters

clod didnt ruin the hobby did it??

Before the berg was out everyone ran the best option available, now there is a new best option, your choice to run it or not.

what ruins the hobby is the people that don't embrace change and growth and instead bitch and complain about it.

everyone wants to say that the axial was bad for the hobby, how could something that draws in so many new people be bad? How could something that draws so much attention to the sport be bad? how many cover shots on rc mags has the axial been on? Is that bad for our hobby? i don't think so.

the ones that are serious and into the sport will stick around and mod and grow with the sport. the ones that aren't serious sell off their rigs when they become bored and it offers us lots of parts for cheap. we all win.

Comment

You now have a new Name...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rckcrwlr
                          You now have a new Name...

guess i'l keep my opinions to my self.

Comment

awwww....

don't feel that way CJ....

i think the berg's are an interesting concept, i just heard about them like 2 weeks ago.....

Comment

For me the ax10 fit the bill. It was somewhere to start. Something to play with while I learn what the heck the speed controler thingie does!

Comment

Working...
                              X