my new comp AX-10 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my new comp AX-10 build

well, here i go. i am starting my comp rig build. here is what specs on it i am planning:

AX-10 axles, upgraded with various goodies as my budget allows
    chassis designed by myself
    Insane R/C delrin links
    SW2 center skid
    pede tranny
    mamba max and TCS crawlers BM9 outrunner
    revo shocks, front set in a 50/50 set-up, and rear regularly sprung.

well, all i got done tonite was get my chassis together. so here's some pics:

side view

width shot

top view

here's a detail of the shock mount arms.
    as you can see, they are adjustable and have 4 different possible positions. i also have 3 more sets of the arms, in varying lengths.

now, here are some things i am considering:

tranny- i mocked up my pede tranny on the chassis, and the motor kind of hangs over the one side, putting a lot of weight towards the driveside of the rig. i am considering addressing this issue by using one of TCS's AX-10 delrin skids, and an axial tranny. this should put the motor more towards the center, plus it will give me the option of putting on a aftermaket dig system if i decide to go that route.

motor- i have an almost brand new Trinity CO27 Pro 27 turn motor i am thinking of using, and gearing nice and LOOOOOOOOOW.... (i know this sounds crazy, but i like my wheelspeed....) if i use this motor, i am going to hard wire it to my mamba max.

tires and wheels- i have a set of axial beadlocks, and M2K's i am going to still use. i am considering trying out proline's memory foams, now that i can get mem foams at a reasonable price....

body- i am going to use my favorite shell out there, a parma grasshopper lid....

well, that's all i got for now. keep an eye out on this thread over the next couple of weeks. i am hoping it turns out nice....

Re: my new comp AX-10 build

Very interesting...and that chassis looks good. I'm glad it finally came to fruition.

Keep us posted...

Oh and welcome back...
    sigpic

Rckcrwlr's Feedback Thread

Comment

thanks! i got to pick up a new dremel tool to do some drilling on it, i have to put 2 holes on the TVP's cause i didn't think to have my waterjet guy do holes for both a SW2 skid AND an AX-10 skid. (maybe if i produce these....)

now i am just wondering, do i get the generic $40 rotary tool set-up from sam's club, or do i actually get a 300 series dremel, so i can use all the nice fancy attachments....

Comment

Depends on what you are looking for.

I have had both...The Dremel seems to last longer but at what cost...You can buy 7 of the Sam ones before you are upside down...I say if all specs are the same...go to the Sams...
        sigpic

Comment

go look at harbor freight, they have lots of rotary tools and tool kits real cheap! i picked up a 250 piece kit for 13 bucks!!

chassis looks great! nice job!

i would opt to put the weight of the tranny and motor more towards the front if possible than in the middle.

Comment

hey, thanks for the comments!

i am wondering if the generic rotary tools will fit in that nice dremel drill press set-up they have, though.

as far as the tranny, i am also considering, just drilling out the SW2 skid so i can bolt an AX-10 tranny in there. that way, i won't widen the overall width of the chassis....

Comment

I wanna see this thing all together. I like the Revo shocks and the low stance. I didn't do well w/ my lowrider droop tuber, but don't think I had it "dialed"

Comment

Looking good. If you're gonna do a lowrider/droopy set-up be prepared for a lot of testing to get it dialed. I would personally do a 50/50ish set-up like my TXT was. Either way bring your cowbell for when you get hung up!

Comment

yeah i tried the droop set up and didn't like it, not my driving style. you gotta be spot on with your bumps to get over stuff but also keep it in control!!

Comment

Originally posted by rockbound
                    yeah i tried the droop set up and didn't like it, not my driving style. you gotta be spot on with your bumps to get over stuff but also keep it in control!!

Wise words oh grasshoppa

Comment

Originally posted by Bustedcrawler
                      Looking good. If you're gonna do a lowrider/droopy set-up be prepared for a lot of testing to get it dialed. I would personally do a 50/50ish set-up like my TXT was. Either way bring your cowbell for when you get hung up!

oh yeah, i'll bring it...

i've also been doing some motor research, and....

i am realllllllllllly thinking a 7T HH Cobat puller thru my mamba maxx, at 9.6V's.......

Comment

Don't rule out the 35T warrior. I have both and the are awesome. The 7T will put some hurtin' on your cells if not geared right.

I am running 8 cells in the scaler on a warrior and it will outrun anything out there if I can keep it from tipping over...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER

oh yeah, i'll bring it...

i've also been doing some motor research, and....

i am realllllllllllly thinking a 7T HH Cobat puller thru my mamba maxx, at 9.6V's.......

I am not trying to pull you away from the puller, but I am coming from personal experience. 9.6V 2/3A packs will hate you and hate that puller. It is not a good combination at all. Run times are maybe 5 mins, packs get extremely hot...to the point of melting the shrink wrap around them. Sub-C or Lipo is required for the pullers.

Now having said that...9.6V 2/3As and 35T Warrior is a combination that is AWESOME! I had that before the puller. CJ now has that motor in his tuber and that tuber has cowbell now
                          Plus I have 2 9.6V 2/3A packs that I will sell ya at bottom dollar prices, see for sale section.

Originally posted by Rckcrwlr
                          Don't rule out the 35T warrior. I have both and the are awesome. The 7T will put some hurtin' on your cells if not geared right.

I am running 8 cells in the scaler on a warrior and it will outrun anything out there if I can keep it from tipping over...

Troof here! 8 cells with a 35T warrior is a great combo! This is due to the 35T warrior being a quad magnet motor, and being a very nice handwound motor too! JRH suggests a quality handwound motor as an alternative to the puller motor. I have no first hand expereince with the HH handwounds, but the 35T is a sick motor for the money! Great bang for the buck!!

Comment

cool, thanks for the heads up guys! in that case, i think i may stick with trying to dail in the trinity CO27 i have. it was a pretty hoss motor in my dark impact the 3 times i actually ran that, in fact for being a 27 turn brushed motor, it was almost TOO much, i am just wondering how it will fair geared properly in a crawler....

Comment

The key with the warrior is the strong magnets...this give you that huge torque at startup.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X