Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOW TO: Upgrade TXT Steering (WARNING...May Weaken Cases)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW TO: Upgrade TXT Steering (WARNING...May Weaken Cases)

As everyone knows, I was having issues with my steering on the super. Knowing that I have been going over every piece of the steering mechanism to see where it can be improved.

Here is something I did that makes a huge improvement on it.

TXT Knuckles are attached to the axles by shoulder screws that screw through the Axle C to the knuckle. This causes slight binding especially when the hole starts to hollow out. You get a lot of slop.

A couple of things you will need...

Dremel or file
    Drill with a 5/16" Bit
    (8) 5 x 8 Flanged Bearings
    Exacto Knife
    Threadloc

First thing is you need to disassemble the knuckles from the axles. Make sure you don't lose the small washer between the C and the knuckle.

Now take the drill and slowly drill as straight as possible, the existing hole to a 5/16". You can step this up to the final size to minimize cracking the axle case.

There will be some remnants of the raised part of the old hole there. Use an exacto or some other sharp object to trim it off flush with the main surface of the C.

Now with a dremel, file down the bottom edge of the shoulder, there is an edge there. Don't remove a lot. You could probably accomplish it with some sandpaper. Test fit the screw in the bearing. Do not force them.

Next, Press the bearing in from the outside in. Just use your finger pressure and make sure it is flush. It should be tight. After that, replace the knuckle and proceed to screw the shoulder screw back in. Do it slowly to make sure that the doesn't bind.

I would recommend threadloc if you are using aluminum knuckles.

And here is the final product..

The steering turns much smoother and you don't have to worry about binding or any sloppy steering.

Good Luck
    sigpic

Rckcrwlr's Feedback Thread

Re: HOW TO: Upgrade TXT Steering

nice! that would work on my clod too!

Comment

Yes it would...
      sigpic

Comment

i thought you where going clod this year in supers? what do you have cooking up?

Comment

Originally posted by rockbound
          i thought you where going clod this year in supers? what do you have cooking up?
          sigpic

Comment

Nice Dad!!! Got any more 5x8 flanged bearings? I know of a TXT that needs this treatment.

Comment

See JohnatABC...
              sigpic

Comment

Re: HOW TO: Upgrade TXT Steering (WARNING...May Weaken Cases)

Well I was out testing my super this morning and it tumbled and snapped one of the C's where I drilled out. This could be a coincidence but I don't want to take a chance.

Just got done changing out axles...thank god that I buy multiples of things...
                sigpic

Comment

Re: HOW TO: Upgrade TXT Steering (WARNING...May Weaken Cases)

whew that was a close one dad!! almost missed the comp!!

Comment

Working...
                  X