clod and txt axle interchangeability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clod and txt axle interchangeability

The inner axle shafts are the same for clods and txt's. I purchased the inner shafts for a clod from tower hobbies and they are the same as my inner shafts for the txt. they fit and my txt moon buggy no problem.

However the outer axle shafts are a little different they are interchangeable but It's just that the sholder on the shaft is a mm longer than a Clod. I have a Jugg that I ran Clod rims on and I had to put a thin washer behind the lock nut to take up the space. I let a friend borrow my Jugg rims to put on his Clod and his lock nut would not tighten all the way. He had to loc tite the nuts to keep them on. I think Tamiya made the shafts longer to run a thicker rim. A bit beefer for more abuse.

Thundertech CVD's won't work on a TXT because the diff gears are different between the two. Thundertech CVD's work with the stock clod diff gear. But they do use the same stock axles. Why you ask? Because the thundertech cvd's are machined with the hex end to find in the clod diff. They do not have the splines, and
    Clods have brass hex adpaters on the inside of the axles, they connect the plastic diff gears to the steel drive shafts.

Re: clod and txt axle interchangeability

nice info. now, is the clod dif gear and txt dif gear interchangeable, then?

i'm trying to learn about all my options for a set of axles for a super. i am trying to stay away from clod axles if i can, but....

Comment

Originally posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER
      nice info. now, is the clod dif gear and txt dif gear interchangeable, then?

i'm trying to learn about all my options for a set of axles for a super. i am trying to stay away from clod axles if i can, but....

No they are not...the clod has a single gear with three planitary in it. The TXT has a ring and pinion set up...
      sigpic

Rckcrwlr's Feedback Thread

Comment

yes as john said the gears inside the cases are not interchangable, only the axle shafts.

Comment

Oops, look like I replied in the wrong thread...one moment folks....

Ok...

Yes and no. The inner shafts are the same, the outter shafts are really close with the clods being just a hair shorter. Now on the gearing that is where things get very different. Clods are a transaxle so the trans and axle are one unit. Clods just have a stack of 32 pitch gears that act as a trans and a ring gear. The TXT is a top loader axle, so the pinion comes in and runs a set of bevel gears which drives the ring gear.

One correction CJ: You can run Thundertech CVDs for a clod in a TXT. How do I know you maybe asking, because I have Thundertech CVDs from JP Customs in the front of my TXT. Thundertech machines the splines on the CVD so you can use them on either truck, clod or TXT. See attached pics from JP Customs site of the Thundertech CVDs.

Comment

thanks for the correction, is that something new that they changed, or has it always been this way?

Comment

Originally posted by rockbound
              thanks for the correction, is that something new that they changed, or has it always been this way?

As far as I know it has always been this way. No problem buddy, that's what we are here for, to share what we know!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bustedcrawler

As far as I know it has always been this way. No problem buddy, that's what we are here for, to share what we know!!
                SWEET!!! thanks for the info, matt!!! knowing i can use the TT CVD's on a TXT (alphabet soup anyone?? ) has just put TXT's up in my top 2 choices!

Comment

SWEET!!! thanks for the info, matt!!! knowing i can use the TT CVD's on a TXT (alphabet soup anyone?? ) has just put TXT's up in my top 2 choices!
                  Looking for Axles???
                  sigpic

Rckcrwlr's Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Rckcrwlr

Looking for Axles???
                    As a matter of fact yes LOL I fear I may have blown up my top loader gears....

Comment

need more power?? do it do it go clod!! welcome to the dark side!!

Comment

Eventually I will...but the TXT will still remain together for fun running.

Comment

ohhhh, scaler with rockwells???

Comment

not scaler comp rig!!

Comment

Nope

Originally posted by Rockbound

not scaler comp rig!!
                              You got it buddy!

Comment

Working...
                              X