Superduty44's clod comp rig.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superduty44's clod comp rig.

Superduty44's and I have been busy trying to get a recently aquired clod ready for this Sunday's comp.

I haven't completely torn into it yet, but here's what I know about it as is when the pics were taken:

- clod axles
    - 9 tooth pinions
    - 55t Integy's
    - NN carbon fiber chassis
    - t-maxx shocks
    - 17" wheelbase
    - Moabs on Axial beadlocks
    - Aluminum knuckles
    - (I think) RC4wd lockers
    - Hiteck 5955tg servos
    - twin stick control
    - dual Rooster Crawler ESC's.

Since the pic, we've:
    - narrowed another set of Axial beadlocks to mount a new set of Moabs
    - decided to stick with the yellow Jeep body
    - designed a new set of body mounts that won't break off every time it rolls over
    - decided on battery mounts & fabbed up the pieces (you'll see where at the comp on Sunday)
    - Decided how many battery cells to run...17 seemed like a good number
    - stripped an axle
    - ordered a DX6i

I'll take some more pics as I go.

BTW, can anybody guess where we're going to mount 17 cells & why so many? First to come up with the answer gets to smack WV4wd's a$$ on Sunday (I'll hold him still for it).

Re: Superduty44's clod comp rig.

looks like a great start!

17 batteries???

not sure where you are going to mount them but i guess dual esc running off of 8 cells each to each motor, and 1 receiver pack for the servos??

Comment

Originally posted by Rockbound
      looks like a great start!

17 batteries???

not sure where you are going to mount them but i guess dual esc running off of 8 cells each to each motor, and 1 receiver pack for the servos??

Your math is a bit off there buddy... Only need 5 cells to make a Rx pack.

My guess is 8 cell out back, and 9 cell up front for more power or a 7/10 split. Throw more volts to avoid clod stall i think

I know what my clod will be running on....

Anyways, good start boys Looking good.

Comment

You're both close. Going w/ 2x 6-cell 4200mah split packs...1 pack for each ESC...and a smaller 1400mah, 5 cell receiver pack.

I just finished up the battery mounting for the front. I'll tackle the rear tomorrow.

Here's a pic of my cluttered work area (I really need to clean it up!).

The object is to get mount 12 cells for the 2 ESC's, but not have all that weight high on the chassis.

First I started with 2 4200 mah 6-cell packs:

I cut them apart, and measured mocked up the mount using some aluminum tube that Superduty44s cut & stretched to the correct size earlier this evening (while I took my wife & kids out to dinner ). BTW, We're using aluminum knuckles and Integy 12mm to 17mm adapters.

I then soldered 3 cells for each side together & soldered the wire on (I used red for the jumper because that's what I had the longest length of):

Then I taped them up & test fit them w/ the narrowed wheels.

Look at this! That's a bunch of weight to move from up top to below the centerline of the axle.

Here's a pic of the pack with the tube.

Mounted to the truck.

Tires & wheels on. Notice how far they're tucked in...almost nothing showing on the stock width wheel on the left. I'm hoping that they don't catch on too much with the narrowed wheels (on the right).

That's all for tonight. I'll do the same thing with the other pack tomorrow (except with longer wire to reach the other ESC.

Also on the schedule for tomorrow is:

- build new servo mounts
        - clearance knuckles to get a bit more steering
        - replace stripped axle
        -????

Comment

sweet! looking good!

the narrowed wheels really protect the batteries, i dont think you will have any trouble hitting them on anything.

Comment

Too much work...

One 5S Lipo and you are golden...Then put the weight where you want it...

Hmmm...and I saw one in the For Sale Section...
            sigpic

Rckcrwlr's Feedback Thread

Comment

Last night, we got a bit more done.
              - The new tires are all mounted on the narrowed wheels.
              - Superduty44s & I built new servo mounts to take the twist/flex out of the mount.
              - Replaced the stripped axle & checked out the axle internals.
              - Mounted the servos.

I still need to build the rear battery packs & finish hooking up the electronics. Then all I need to do is setup the DX6i & we'll be ready to practice.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilTwin v2
                - Superduty44s & I built new servo mounts to take the twist/flex out of the mount.
                - Mounted the servos.

I still need to build the rear battery packs & finish hooking up the electronics. Then all I need to do is setup the DX6i & we'll be ready to practice.
                Is that all Man you're ambitious, it's Friday It's good to know everyone does the 24HR wrenching thing

Comment

Originally posted by DRCMAN
                  - Mounted the servos.

Is that all Man you're ambitious, it's Friday It's good to know everyone does the 24HR wrenching thing

This isn't so bad. Last comp, we both ran completely un-tested 2.2's cause I didn't get them both finished until the night before.

I'm starting to get tired of the last minute wrenching, but we didn't even get the clod til this past weekend.

Comment

I'm starting to get tired of the last minute wrenching, but we didn't even get the clod til this past weekend.
                    I know what you mean I hate finding something last minute that needs done

See you Sunday

Comment

practice is overrated

Comment

Well, the Super has gone back under the knife again with the following:

- X-Crawler axles
                        - 80 turn motors
                        - 8t pinions
                        - machined the clod steering knuckles to fit the XTM axles
                        -16 3/4" wheelbase

Unfortunately, it now has a 16 1/2" track width (outside of tire to outside of tire).

Comment

WOW, looks sweet Carey. I'll be up to see it.

Comment

I got it running. Those 80 turns are ridiculously slow...far too slow. I can't remember who suggested them, but unless we can gear it considerably higher with a higher tooth count pinion, I don't think they're going to cut it.

I'm also having trouble getting the batteries to take a full charge.

Comment

look at all that bling!!

i would try to lower it a bit if you could, ride height looks awfully tall

looking good though!

Comment

Working...
                              X