No announcement yet.

Old Futaba Radio, Receiver and Servos.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Futaba Radio, Receiver and Servos.

So I was digging around in the garage today and found my old tamiya stadium truck from the early 90's. I decided to see if the servos would still work as I know the motor and tranny are fried. Anyway, I plugged them into the steering servo slot on my Wheely king and they both still worked (albeit a little glitchy). I still have my old Futaba Magnum sport radio and receiver as well, however, the speed control was the old servo driven type and not esc. .

My main question is this.

Are the radio and receiver worth reusing? I think the servos are pretty weak, but I could replace those cheaply enough. I was also thinking of getting a cheap esc as well. The idea here is to build a cheap basher for my son, so I can have more time to drive my wheely king. I figured If I had a decent radio and receiver to start with I could piece him something together for pretty cheap.

Any Suggestions are appreciated. Remember I'm new to RC after about a 15 year hiatus so I haven't caught up to all the tech yet.

Thanks

Jake

Re: Old Futaba Radio, Receiver and Servos.

hey, if its a cheap beater basher for your son and the radio and receiver work it cant hurt to use. if it works use it. you can always upgrade later if the need arrises. spend your money on parts you need, then upgrade as you need!

Comment

So I finally scrounged up enough batteries for the receiver and for the car itself and everything works okay. The servos worked much better when I ran them through the futaba than when i had them plugged into my wheely king. SO this car is vintage 1992-93 and doesn't have ESC. It has the old style where the servo drives the arm across the contacts to get variable speed control. It also has 4 AA's that plug into the receiver, if I get an esc can I just eliminate those? Does anyone have any suggestions as to a cheap ESC that I could run with this system? Are they all pretty much plug and go?

Jake

Comment

For an inexpensive option..look to the XL-5. Sounds like you are using a manual speed control.

Also, check out AB Charles, he has some Hitec combos of a TX, RX and ESC that are priced pretty good too.
        sigpic

Rckcrwlr's Feedback Thread

Comment

Working...
        X