Pullers and 2/3A cells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pullers and 2/3A cells

Just as a heads up to everyone. Cobat Pullers do not like 2/3As, as they pull more amps than the 2/3As can discharge at. Sub-Cs and 20C lipos work just fine with a puller motor.

All battery's have a max discharge rate, and if you go past that packs dump early. With continued, extended use like that the cells can be damaged. That is why after 1 run on 1 pack, and 2 runs on another I hung up the 2/3As. If I was going very slow all the time the 2/3As could give about 5 min to 10 min of run time. If any high RPM was used, they dumped VERY fast.

With a standard 540 motor, the 2/3As are a great choice. Good run time, can fit more cells in a smaller package, easier to fit where you want, and much cheaper than sub-Cs. Even with a brushless motor you will not see any ill-effects out of the 2/3As.

The design of the puller is such that it creates a VERY strong magnetic field, which is why you get such great torque and low end control out of a low turn motor. This also helps give them almost 1800 KV (rpm/volt). However, to create this field it takes a lot of power. There are trade offs for everything we use in the crawlers.

Hope this helps.

Re: Pullers and 2/3A cells

yeah it was struggling last night

Comment

Originally posted by rockbound
      yeah it was struggling last night
      Yep, those 2/3As would be great in something like your tuber. You could run 8 cells in a small space, and that 35T Warrior is easier on the amp draw than the puller.

Comment

maybe something to look at to lower the cog!!

Comment

That is all I ran last year in the 2.2 with the CM...No problems...
          sigpic

Rckcrwlr's Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Rckcrwlr
            That is all I ran last year in the 2.2 with the CM...No problems...

This is true, and why I recoomend 2/3As with brushless and standard brushed motors.

Comment

Originally posted by rockbound
              maybe something to look at to lower the cog!!

If you ever want to try this let me know. I will be holding on to the 2/3As for the scaler as I plan on running a 35T warrior in it, and 8cells with that motor is an AWESOME combo!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bustedcrawler
                I will be holding on to the 2/3As for the scaler as I plan on running a 35T warrior in it, and 8cells with that motor is an AWESOME combo!!

How do you know that???
                sigpic

Rckcrwlr's Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Rckcrwlr
                  Originally posted by Bustedcrawler
                  I will be holding on to the 2/3As for the scaler as I plan on running a 35T warrior in it, and 8cells with that motor is an AWESOME combo!!

How do you know that???

Personal experience That is the combo I had in the SW2 before it was torn down and rebuilt with STUPID power

I will say this:

An 8 cell 2/3A pack with a 35T Warrior has a lot of torque and great wheelspeed. No need for a super high end esc to get the most out of it. You can gear down and still have plenty of cowbell, and not have soo much that you have to worry about parts breaking.

A 3S Lipo with a 7T puller has ridiculus torque and wheelspeed This combo will work with a ESC like a Rooster Crawler or in my case a Super Rooster, however you will loose a bit of very low end control. I think a Rooster Crawler would be better than my Super Rooster, but the best choice is a Mamba Max. The throttle curve has a LOT of resolution to it so you can just ease in to the throttle without worry. A Mamba Max is HIGHLY reccomended along with a CCBEC to give your servo(s) back thier power. Now this combo you have to watch how much cowbell you use, as there is so much parts will go flying if your too bound up and you punch it

I think most people will find a 35T warrior with an 8 cell 2/3A pack to be a great balance and sweet set-up in thier truck. I would also recommend 8-10 cell 2/3A packs or a 3S lipo for those wanting to run a Crawlmaster either 850KV or 1000KV versions.

I think 90% of people who like to bash, trail ride, and compete will find one of those combos to be excellent. If you are in the other half and need stupid power or just want stupid power...then get yourself a 3S lipo and a puller motor. Don't say I didn't warn you

Comment

hmmmm, i was wondering if 4/5A's would have any difference? that is what my front servo mount pack pack is made of...

Comment

Originally posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER
                      hmmmm, i was wondering if 4/5A's would have any difference? that is what my front servo mount pack pack is made of...

As far as? Not too many people are using 4/5A cells, as 2/3A, sub-C, and lipos are the most common right now. I would venture to say a 4/5A cell will have a higher discharge rating than a 2/3A cell, but per John Rob Holmes a sub-c is the smallest cell he reccomends with pullers. JRH normally recommends lipos with at least 20C discharge rate for use with the pullers as not all sub-c's are the same.

For a 35T warrior I would say a 4/5A cell would be great, but you are losing the advantage of the 2/3A cells which is the lower weight due to the smaller size.

Comment

Working...
                      X