Timing question for motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing question for motors

What does it mean when you see that a motor has "24 degree timing"?

I've seen marks on motors, but what do they line up with in the truck?

Thanks

Steve

Re: Timing question for motors

Originally posted by Stburr91
    What does it mean when you see that a motor has "24 degree timing"?

I've seen marks on motors, but what do they line up with in the truck?

Thanks

Steve

Timing in reality has nothing to do with lining a motor up with the truck. Timing is the relationship between the amature and stator (the shaft the rotates and has the wire windings on it) and the can with the magnets.

Adjusting the timing will allow for gains or losses in performance and effiency depending on how you adjust it.

A 24 degree motor will have the arm and stator adjusted 24 degrees, off of the nuetral point. The nuetral point is where the motor draws the least amount of current. That 24 degree motor I bet is a racing motor so it is adjusted so that it has a power gain at the cost of a higher amp draw.

Hope this helps

Comment

Re: Timing question for motors

yeah you could speed up or slow down the motor by changing the timing of it. it will run more or less efficient if you adjust it. it will also heat up or run cooler and it will give you longer and shorter run times as well. I don't like to fool with the timing, i leave it where it was set from the factory, if i don't like the performance then i look for a new motor.

Comment

Working...
      X