Front tire spinning on beadlock.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front tire spinning on beadlock.

I noticed today that my front right was occasionally hanging and the beadlock was still spinning inside it. Other than double checking the tightness of all the screws does anyone have any insight?

Jake

Re: Front tire spinning on beadlock.

what kind of beadlocks. the new tamiya ones that come with the landy are known to do this.

you can try to sandwich something to make the ring tighter, or use just a little ca glue.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockbound
      what kind of beadlocks. the new tamiya ones that come with the landy are known to do this.

you can try to sandwich something to make the ring tighter, or use just a little ca glue.
      Mine haven't spun...unless someone that was running them noticed it.

Jake,
      Maybe it is the combo of the tires you are using and the wheels. What does the bead look like...

One thought before putting CA on them would be to run a little ShooGoo in the grove of the wheel and then set the bead. That way it will hold and give a little more meat to grab onto. Plus it can come off without damaging the wheels or tires...
      sigpic

Rckcrwlr's Feedback Thread

Comment

Take a close look at that wheel and tire... is the bead fully seated in the wheel? How does the tire bead look?

What wheels and tires are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by Bustedcrawler
          Take a close look at that wheel and tire... is the bead fully seated in the wheel? How does the tire bead look?

He is running the new CR-01 Wheels and I believe Axial Lizards...

The Lizards beads might not be seating properly...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rckcrwlr

He is running the new CR-01 Wheels and I believe Axial Lizards...

The Lizards beads might not be seating properly...

I can see that, as the Lizards seem to have a rather thick bead. The CR-01 beadlocks have a decent groove, but I would be worried about how well you can torque down the ring with the phillips hardware.

I would also recommend getting rid of all those phillips screws and getting some allen heads for use on the beadlocks.

Comment

[I can see that, as the Lizards seem to have a rather thick bead. The CR-01 beadlocks have a decent groove, but I would be worried about how well you can torque down the ring with the phillips hardware.

I would also recommend getting rid of all those phillips screws and getting some allen heads for use on the beadlocks.
              The only thing I can see with the wheels is the plastic ring...they are coming out with an alum upgrade but the screws are not bad...if you have the right screw driver...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rckcrwlr
                [I can see that, as the Lizards seem to have a rather thick bead. The CR-01 beadlocks have a decent groove, but I would be worried about how well you can torque down the ring with the phillips hardware.

The only thing I can see with the wheels is the plastic ring...they are coming out with an alum upgrade but the screws are not bad...if you have the right screw driver...

This is true... I still like allens over phillips but that is a different thread.

With phillips heads that small the correct screwdriver is KEY.

The plastic rigs could be a problem if there is any small defect in the bead or in the wheel as it will deform versus forcing the tire to seat.

Comment

I didn't get a chance to check them out last night so I can't give you guys any updates on them. I can definitely see the little phillips heads being a problem.

Busted, where could I get Allen's that are that small? Would they have them down at Lowe's?

Hopefully I'll get a chance to look at them tonight.

jake

Comment

Originally posted by Patella
                    I Busted, where could I get Allen's that are that small? Would they have them down at Lowe's?
                    jake
                    I believe they are a 2.5 or 2 mm plastic screw...I doubt it very much that they will have them... chances are you will need to go to a McMaster or one of them to get it.

Just get a good screw driver and you will be fine...make sure that you squeeze the ring onto the bead so that screw is not doing the work and you are good...
                    sigpic

Comment

I didn't get a chance to check them out last night so I can't give you guys any updates on them. I can definitely see the little phillips heads being a problem.

Busted, where could I get Allen's that are that small? Would they have them down at Lowe's?

Hopefully I'll get a chance to look at them tonight.

jake

Fastenal would be a good place. They have a shop over in Coroapolis, and should be able to get you a ton of them there or from them online. There are also a lot of places online to get them.

Like Rckcrwlr said, just get the correct sized screwdriver for now, unless you really want to swap out all the bolts...

Comment

my guess is that it is seated properly, if it weren't it would spin and come off the bead. seeming how it is just spinning in the wheel it seems that it is pinched properly just not tight enough.

dad jia had one in tn and his tires would spin in his wheels and he said that alot of people he talked to had the same problem.

the screw heads wont be a problem or at least any more of a problem than small allen heads, small allen heads strip just as easy. just dont over tighten what ever you decide to use.

i would try and make a little metal ring out of a paper clip that you can wedge between the bead and the ring to put more pressure on the ring. or some of the shoo goo dad spoke of.

Comment

So i tore it all apart last night and looked for any stripped screws or imperfections on the ring. Couldn't find anything and set it back up and it's still doing it. Doesn't do it all the time, just sometimes. I think I may try the paperclip trick first and if that doesn't do it, I'll try the shoo goo.

Jake

Comment

anyone know the size of the screws off hand for the the Cr-01 beadlocks? Was thinking about making a run out to the Fastenal by my house. The one is Duquesne it only about 4 miles away from me and I'm trying to get outta here early today

Comment

anyone know the size of the screws off hand for the the Cr-01 beadlocks? Was thinking about making a run out to the Fastenal by my house. The one is Duquesne it only about 4 miles away from me and I'm trying to get outta here early today
                              The screws aren't going to make a difference...that is just a preference of hex or phillips. Don't spend the $$$ on them unless you are stripping the heads...which you really should due to screwing into plastic.

I am guessing that the plastic rings with those tires is the issue. Do the shoo goo and you will not have an issue again...plus it peels off when you want to change.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X