Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my new steering...anyone see a prob i am missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my new steering...anyone see a prob i am missing?

well i have become increasingly irritated with the steering on my new berg tuber. i just cant get it dialed in to where i like it. It has me very frustrated. So far the only thing i don't like about this truck!

If i use the tie rod on top of the knuckles with a drag link from the servo to the knuckle, i cannot get full steer left and right because the servo horn isn't long enough to throw the full steering. I can't use a longer servo arm unless i put the tie rod under the knuckle to allow room for a longer arm. then the tie rod hangs too low.. under the axle housing, not going to work.

Cant flip the arm to the top of the servo because first rollover would break the arm off.

so i tried to tie rods to the same mounting point on servo arm, one in the front, one in the back, this seemed to work, however i didn't like the way it looked offsetting. I could deal with the look but, i found out at the raceway hobbies comp, this put the screw too close to the axle housing and it would bind up my steering not allowing me to steer at all. So its out the window.

I tried mounting them both in front of the arm but that stuck out way too far even past the front edge of the tires. This killed my approach angle.

so i saw someone post this solution and i thought i would give it a try.

My only concern is that the outside tires turn much further than the inside tire. does anyone see a problem with this. is it going to effect any performance or put any abnormal stress on anything.

you can see it in the next 2 pics..

Thanks

Re: my new steering...anyone see a prob i am missing?

Basically you have reverse ackerman steering. I.E. outer wheel has a higher steer angle than the inner one.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Actually using true ackerman steering will place more stress on the parts than reverse ackerman. That is why most race cars run parallel or slightly biased to reverse ackerman steering.

That said...dude this is crawling... ackerman steering geometries only really come into play in how the car handles at high speeds. For crawling I would only worry about making sure you get as much steer angle as possible.

Think about it this way...if your tires slip while going up a sidehill slope, would you rather:

A) Have the outer (downhill) tire turning more and in essence catching you and correcting to put you back on track

OR

B) Have the outer (downhill) tire turning less and causing the truck to go further off your line

Let me know if you want to know any more...

Comment

i was actually thinking of doing that for that steering on my AX-10 axles. and after this run this afternoon, i am thinking of trying a longer servoe horn, cause my steering sucks....

Comment

yeah i am not liking the set up, i have changed it again.

Comment

What did you do different? When I got my axles, there were no servo mounts at all, so I had to come up with something out of the blue. I am getting max steering and it works well. Maybe try something like that? It also keeps everything up high.

Comment

wow. thats nice. you got an extra arm lying around i'll take it !

Comment

Check out his other post...I think I saw two on the bench...
              sigpic

Rckcrwlr's Feedback Thread

Comment

Working...
              X