Help me grasp the droop concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me grasp the droop concept

On sunday Razor RC was showing me his rig and he's running a droop setup. He explained it to me a bit and I understand the concept, but I don't fully understand the benefits of it. After all, whether the spring is internal or external, it's still doing the same exact function, right?
    Other than looking a bit cleaner outside, how much difference does it make?

Re: Help me grasp the droop concept

droop set up means the crawler only has droop in the suspension. no suspension compression.

when the crawler is sitting on level ground the shocks are basically fully compressed at ride height under no load.

only advantage i see is that it lowers your center of gravity. but you loose a ton of belly clearance.

it takes a totally different driving style.

if the shocks have internal springs then it isn't a true droop only set up. could be a 50/50 mix or any mix for that matter.

a full droop setup would have absolutely no compression. but i guess if you have more droop than compression this could still be considered a droop style setup.

confused yet?

Comment

No, actually that helped me visualize it alot... I see how having no springs at all would be a true droop setup. That's what I wondered, how is it a droop setup if there are still springs involved. I guess the benefit is you can run very short, soft springs inside to act as stops to cushion the ride before bottoming out harshly, but still have it act as a non-sprung droop setup.

Thanks, man

Comment

you could also run springs inside the shocks but on top of the disk that the oil runs though so the droop is actually sprung as well not just floppy if that makes sense.

so instead of the spring pushing the shock open it pulls it closed.

Comment

Having run just about every flavor out there...Rockbound got it right.

Most crawlers are set-up with a compression only, spring on the outside coil over set-up. Shocks can only compress...shock eye moves toward the body, and not droop.

In a droop set-up, the coil-overs are removed and replaced by shock oil in the 1000+ weight. The shocks can only droop...eye moves away from body.

There are droop set-ups that place a small spring under the shock piston to give some resistance as the shock droops or moves out.

Then there are the split set-ups. These use a combination of external and internal springs to set ride height and rough percentage of droop/compression travel.

Droop will give you a lower center of gravity and belly clearance. When set up right that will allow for better climbing and side hilling. However, droop can unload and is at times unpredictable and takes a lot of tuning to find the correct oil for a truck.

A split set-up adds some predictability to a droop set-up, and allows for compression of the suspension. Compression is needed with the speed sections that a lot of comps tend to have.

Comment

Well said!

I am currently running a full droop setup on my AX-10, with a custom built chassis & Integy MSR-10 shocks. I have the soft internal springs under the piston to control rebound of the shock, with no compression damping. I am currently running 40 weight oil. I'm currently sitting at 2 3/4" clearance at the center of the belly.

I played with a few different setups before, when I had the factory chassis, and had finally settle on using the stock Axial shocks & cut stock mini-t springs in a 75/25 droop setup. (about 1/4 of the spring above the piston for compression & 3/4 below the piston for rebound). Unfortunately, the stock shocks leaked, and weren't very smooth...not too mention were far longer than necessary, but there was just enough cushion of the ride to keep it controllable at higher speeds.

With the setup I have now, it is extremely predictable, and I have all but eliminated the torque twist that I used to experience. On steep climbs, it keeps the right front tire on or near the ground, where it used to lift it high under torque or even cause it to flip backward. It does take a bit of getting used to, though. I've run it alot, and i still had a situation this past weekend where I flipped over due to a bit of bounce off of a drop.

Comment

Originally posted by welby
              On sunday Razor RC was showing me his rig and he's running a droop setup. He explained it to me a bit and I understand the concept, but I don't fully understand the benefits of it. After all, whether the spring is internal or external, it's still doing the same exact function, right?
              Other than looking a bit cleaner outside, how much difference does it make?
              actually, razor is still running pretty much a normal sprung suspension, just internalt springs on his shocks. i was also running a full on droop suspension...

and on another note about tuning a droop set-up, being that you are losing a bit of belly clearance (well, actually a lot) TALL tires are a big plus....

i experimented with a set of M3 badlands on sunday, and while they had a nice height to them, the tread pattern wasn't so great on the wet, smooth rocks we had at OP... i definately feel my M2K's would of worked a lot better. however, i am also considering trying a proline Flatirons, as they look to be a fairly tall tire. i'd love to try the panter tires, but, they look a bit too short for a belly dragger....

also, i'll post up some pics of my suspension set-up when i get some fresh batteries in my cam....

Comment

Originally posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER
                however, i am also considering trying a proline Flatirons, as they look to be a fairly tall tire. i'd love to try the panter tires, but, they look a bit too short for a belly dragger....
                I think you have those backward. I run the Flat Irons, and they are one of the shorter tires. The Hammer & Moab are both taller tires. The Panther, however, is taller than (I think) any of the ProLine tires.

Comment

[quote=EvilTwin v2]
                  Originally posted by "STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER":2pvmswc0
                  however, i am also considering trying a proline Flatirons, as they look to be a fairly tall tire. i'd love to try the panter tires, but, they look a bit too short for a belly dragger....
                  I think you have those backward. I run the Flat Irons, and they are one of the shorter tires. The Hammer & Moab are both taller tires. The Panther, however, is taller than (I think) any of the ProLine tires.[/quote:2pvmswc0]

you are correct sir!

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys.... I just couldn't grasp how the spring could be mounted inside to pull the suspension in rather than push

Comment

im running a stock suspension but i went internal springs. im getting alot better flex out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by welby
                        Thanks for the info, guys.... I just couldn't grasp how the spring could be mounted inside to pull the suspension in rather than push

That would be why it is confusing...the spring is there to resist the shock opening...that is an easy way to think of it...

Comment

Working...
                        X