Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve,
    I was going to quote you but...

I believe that "rules" can be good. Especially if you have people coming from all over...but they should be more of a guideline. Now if you are having a comp, that's a different story. You need some hard fast rules to make sure everyone is on the same page especially if there are "prizes" available.

Now, I love the scale builds...from my scalers to the semi's I'm building now. It is cool to post up pics and people are not sure if it is real or not.

With all the new scale products coming out...it can get a little overwhelming.

I believe in what you said, build it to your liking and run it. I never had people in mine until I started doing videos...it doesn't look right having a jeep going over rocks without a driver...that is the only reason I did it...not for points.

I can't wait to get out with my scalers this summer...in fact, I'm going to start packing them in the camper so I can enjoy other terrain while traveling.
    sigpic

Rckcrwlr's Feedback Thread

Comment

You made my point better then I did John! I personally believe that people should build what makes them happy. I LOVE looking at the scale builds people do. Tins tundra is extrememly impressive to me and I saw one chevy truck on RCC that had I not been on an RC website I would have thought it was a real truck. The dedication and time these guys put into them is more then I am willing to spend. That was my point. I don't feel that because, for lack of a better term, I am lazy when it comes to my hobbies that it should eliminate me from being allowed to run. In most cases this isn't true now but seems to be where those guys over at RCC want it to head.

If you are going to COMPETITIONS then yes keep the rules but for me locally and with friends I say there should be only a few rules such as you cant run a MOA crawler or something that falls under the 2.2s rules, keep the wheelbase at 12.5, keep the general rules (dig, 4ws, etc) that apply to the 3 classes, but other then that run what you brought and have fun!

I guess what I should have said is I don't understand the UBER SCALE people that think if it isn't an exact replica of a real truck it shouldn't be allowed to be run.

Comment

Originally posted by Catch22 View Post
        I guess what I should have said is I don't understand the UBER SCALE people that think if it isn't an exact replica of a real truck it shouldn't be allowed to be run.
        To be honest...It's the other way around. The Uber Scale People are trying to protect the integrity of scale. Most of these guys started out a scale builders. Several of them are on my team. They get frustrated with the why the rules get away from the scale side...like having Hammers on your scale rig or Wraith width axles on a body that is narrower than a Hilux. That is where it is getting out of hand...they are build to compete and then scale is the after thought.

All I can say is that if you want to run your Dingo with my TF2...just don't get too far ahead of me...but I guarantee you will be laughing your arse off the whole time...and how knows maybe we can have DRCMan show you this trick...

sigpic

Comment

I do understand that John but what exactly is the "integrity of scale" and why does it even matter? So what if someone puts a small body on wraith axles? Maybe that is what the owner likes. I see people with 38in tires on Toyota Tacomas all the time. I even saw 44s on a Ford Ranger. The tires were so big the owner had a horrible body lift and still had to cut out most of the bed and fenders to fit them. To me those trucks are ugly but they are not mine so I say good for them. I also laugh at them when they break axles and rear ends because they spent their money making their truck "look good" instead of beefing up the areas that needed it to handle those upgrades.

See this all stems from my real world beliefs that PERFORMANCE comes first. I do not care what something looks like as long as it works as good as I can make it work. To put it in my perspective if I am building a truck, real or rc, I want the truck to do its primary job to the best of its ability. Its job is to crawl/tow/haul/pull/etc. Its primary job is not to look pretty. If it looks nice that is just an added bonus. So I am sorry to say this but in my opinion some scale people have their priorities backwards. I am not talking about winning comps. I could care less about that. I am talking about the ability to go out in the woods time after time, get to places I didn't think it would go, and beat my truck mercilessly and have it in one piece when I take it home.

I probably should exit the debate though because it is not my primary area of interest so I have really have no business getting involved. These are of course my opinions and if I have offended anyone I am sorry!

Comment

Understand your thinking but the origination of "Scale" was to build rigs as they are in the 1:1 world. As it has evolved, that has got cloudy. In the past, scale for the everyday person was a loose description being that there was not much out there that was really scale. We used tlt axles, homemade chassis' and a lexan body. Then came winches...wow... LOL

With all the Licensed and Scale items out there, you can now build a model of the real thing...and what's even better is you can drive it too.

Building a rig for a purpose is great in 1:1 because you are still limited to your capabilities and realistic uses. People build their rigs for purpose...pulling, mudbog etc...but the issue comes into play when you are building for the Class 1 or Class 2.

Regarding the Offending comment, Unless you said something about my Mother, wife or kids...no offence taken.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Catch22 View Post

See this all stems from my real world beliefs that PERFORMANCE comes first. I do not care what something looks like as long as it works as good as I can make it work. To put it in my perspective if I am building a truck, real or rc, I want the truck to do its primary job to the best of its ability. Its job is to crawl/tow/haul/pull/etc. Its primary job is not to look pretty. If it looks nice that is just an added bonus. So I am sorry to say this but in my opinion some scale people have their priorities backwards. I am not talking about winning comps. I could care less about that. I am talking about the ability to go out in the woods time after time, get to places I didn't think it would go, and beat my truck mercilessly and have it in one piece when I take it home.
              I think a lot like you. I've always been about performance not looks, My wraith last year was the best rig I ever had, and I got frustrated with it. It could perform TOO good. Not even close to scale, and thats why I'm building my YJ this winter.

You also hit on another point with your statement about the Jeep wheelbase and not even close to being scale. That is where the hardcore guys are at. They want realism, they want a scale comp on video to look almost real. When people get Wraith axles on a narrowed yota body with 2.2 iroks the realism is gone.

I'm one of the folks that likes a run what ya brung, and like John said, just don't forget to wait up for the little guys. Try to fit into a class if you want to be in a comp, but if you don't we'll put you into one that is close enough and go out and have fun.

For me a lot of the fun is tinkering.
              Sent from my laptop using my keyboard

Comment

For me it's all about the fun, the last couple of gtg's we had doing Rally was a blast! Nobody throwing a tantrum because they lost, or someone crashed into their car and they had a heart attack, just a bunch of over grown kids playing with their toys and having a ball. I'll say it again if you can't have fun doing this then why bother? I quit racing because it felt like a job and I always felt rushed. I just wanna walk through the woods running my rigs and laugh and carry on with the rest of you.

Comment

Originally posted by kincer View Post
                  For me it's all about the fun, the last couple of gtg's we had doing Rally was a blast! Nobody throwing a tantrum because they lost, or someone crashed into their car and they had a heart attack, just a bunch of over grown kids playing with their toys and having a ball. I'll say it again if you can't have fun doing this then why bother? I quit racing because it felt like a job and I always felt rushed. I just wanna walk through the woods running my rigs and laugh and carry on with the rest of you.
                  One Rule...
                  NO KINCER MULLIGANS

in Scale Running...
                  sigpic

Comment

Oh come on that's one of the things I wanted in the rules

Comment

Originally posted by kincer View Post
                      Agreed! I never comped, but getting together for Rally was a ton of fun. It's made me want to do some work on my scale rigs this winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Patella View Post
                        Agreed! I never comped, but getting together for Rally was a ton of fun. It's made me want to do some work on my scale rigs this winter.
                        Jeep Head

Comment

Working...
                        X