I think I'm addicted to the scale trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'm addicted to the scale trucks

So I've been prowling here, over at RCC, and Scale 4X4 and I really think I'd like to try my hand at building a scaler. I'm thinking I'd like to start from the ground up by building my own frame and adding components along the way. Does anyone here have any suggestions as to where I might find a decent template for making a frame that I could print out? There was one guy over on Scale 4X4 that had a vid of him bending his own frame out of square tube stock and I think I'd like to try something similar.

Any links or suggestions some of you more experienced builders might have would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Jake

Re: I think I'm addicted to the scale trucks

welcome to the club!! my best advise for you is to go grab some metal and start bending and building. you will learn more from doing it and trying things than from reading anything. start by drawing your own chassis to scale and use that as your template. good luck and happy building!!

Comment

I would suggest that you come to the comp on the 30th...I am going to guess that there will be a lot of scalers on display...hoping to run after the comp...

Also, we are going to have a swap meet at break time so there may be some stuff you would be interested in gathering up.
      sigpic

Rckcrwlr's Feedback Thread

Comment

You could also always start with somthing commercially avalible, then modify it to your likeing.. I did that with my F-150 king lift.. It started ouyt life as a Tamiya F-350 High Lift..
        There are also the Tamiya CC-01 chassis out there on ebay and such, the upcoming release fo the Tamiya FJ Landcruiser on the CR-01 chassis (brand new tech on that one)
        and there is always the scratchbuilt way of doing things, always depends on your level of knowledge and experiance, (or desire to gain it!)
        Good luck!

Comment

I'll be bringing the scaler and other misc stuff as well.

Comment

Where is the comp on Mar 30? Maybe I'll pack up my little guy and we'll go for a drive.

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Patella
              Where is the comp on Mar 30? Maybe I'll pack up my little guy and we'll go for a drive.

Jake
              Yorkville Dam Directions
              sigpic

Rckcrwlr's Feedback Thread

Comment

So I decided to build a servo mount for the front axle tonight and printed myself out a template from RCC. Only problem is that I didn't have any aluminum, so I tried to use a piece of old metal stud that I had left over from remodeling. Note to self.. metal studs do not make very usable servo mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Patella
                  So I decided to build a servo mount for the front axle tonight and printed myself out a template from RCC. Only problem is that I didn't have any aluminum, so I tried to use a piece of old metal stud that I had left over from remodeling. Note to self.. metal studs do not make very usable servo mounts.
                  So you're making origami out of the metal studs I'll take two Cranes and a hat

Comment

yep that's pretty much it.
                    It's bad when you have the itch to do something and it's 10pm.

For my next trick I'll make some lower links out of drinking straws.

Comment

you can fill them with super glue to harden them and they will work!! lol

Comment

Working...
                      X