What are these "Bots" I am seeing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are these "Bots" I am seeing

I want to thank everyone for keeping an eye on the forum. That just shows the type of people that we have here. Periodically you may see in the "Who's online" something like Google[Bots], MSN[Bots]. No need to panic. Hope this clears it up.

Bots:

"Internet bots, also known as web robots, WWW robots or simply bots, are software applications that run automated tasks over the Internet. Typically, bots perform tasks that are both simple and structurally repetitive, at a much higher rate than would be possible for a human alone. The largest use of bots is in web spidering, in which an automated script fetches, analyses and files information from web servers at many times the speed of a human. Each server can have a file called robots.txt, containing rules for the spidering of that server that the bot is supposed to obey.

In addition to their uses outlined above, bots may also be implemented where a response speed faster than that of humans is required (e.g., gaming bots and auction-site robots) or less commonly in situations where the emulation of human activity is required, for example chat bots.

Bots are also being used as organization and content access applications for media delivery. Webot.com is one recent example of utilizing bots to deliver personal media across the web from multiple sources. In this case the bots track content updates on host computers and deliver live streaming access to a browser based logged in user."

Web Spidering

"A web crawler (also known as a web spider or web robot or - especially in the FOAF community - web scutter[1]) is a program or automated script which browses the World Wide Web in a methodical, automated manner. Other less frequently used names for web crawlers are ants, automatic indexers, bots, and worms.[2]

This process is called web crawler or spidering. Many sites, in particular search engines, use spidering as a means of providing up-to-date data. Web crawlers are mainly used to create a copy of all the visited pages for later processing by a search engine that will index the downloaded pages to provide fast searches. Crawlers can also be used for automating maintenance tasks on a website, such as checking links or validating HTML code. Also, crawlers can be used to gather specific types of information from Web pages, such as harvesting e-mail addresses (usually for spam).

A web crawler is one type of bot, or software agent. In general, it starts with a list of URLs to visit, called the seeds. As the crawler visits these URLs, it identifies all the hyperlinks in the page and adds them to the list of URLs to visit, called the crawl frontier. URLs from the frontier are recursively visited according to a set of policies."

I hope this clears it up...
    sigpic

Rckcrwlr's Feedback Thread

Re: What are these "Bots" I am seeing

Thanks Dad! That makes a lotta sense

Comment

ummmm, ok....

Comment

mmmmkay! i was wondering the same, i kept trying to click on them but it wouldn't let me

Comment

ok sounds good to me

Comment

Working...
          X